Please Note: If you are reading this blog post via email, your email client may alter or interpret the html code. If you want to copy the code, please click on the title of the blog post to be take directly to this post on the web.
As one who designs custom buttons and banners for bloggers, I am constantly asked the same questions over and over. The question that I am asked (almost daily) is, “How do I add a way for my readers to grab my button?”
While I will continue to assist my clients in any way possible, I thought it might benefit my readers if you could quickly and easily find the code to add your own “Grab My Button” section to your blog.
All it takes is a little bit of html code to make your button magically appear, along with a text box underneath it.
If you’re using blogger, you’ll need to go to your “Layouts” tab, then “Add a Gadget” to your sidebar. When the box pops up, you’ll need to select the “Jave/HTML” option.
On wordpress, in your dashboard, under Appearance, click on Widgets. Then, drag a “text” box over to the area of your sidebar that you’d like the button to appear.
Here’s the code you will need to put in either your gadget or widget box:
<center><img src=”INSERT LINK TO IMAGE HERE”/> <textarea rows=”7″ cols=”12″>
<a href=”INSERT LINK TO YOUR BLOG HERE” target=”_blank”><img src=”INSERT LINK TO IMAGE HERE” border=”0″ alt=”INSERT BLOG NAME HERE”/></a></textarea></center>
Now, let me break that code up for you so that it’s a little easier to understand:
- Adding <center> at the beginning of the code, and </center> at the end of the code will do just what it says: center your button in your sidebar.
- Where it says “INSERT LINK TO IMAGE HERE” – in BOTH of those areas, you will need to add the link to where your image is hosted. It may be paypal, it may be your personal website. Just know where your image is hosted, and be sure to include the http:// when you add the link in.
- The “<textarea>” section will be the little box that appears next to your button containing the code your readers will grab.
- Make sure you add the http:// to your blog’s website address when you insert it in the area that says “INSERT LINK TO YOUR BLOG HERE.”
- target=”_blank” means that when readers click on the button your readers will post, your blog will automatically open in a new tab or window.
- border=”0″ prevents that dreaded blue or purple box going around your button.
- alt=”INSERT BLOG NAME HERE” – Put the name of your blog in that section. For my personal blog (this blog), I’d put “5 Vinez Monkeys” just like that.
Now, let me show you an example of this code in action.
<center><img src=”http://www.angelavinezdesigns.com/supermom125.jpg”/> <textarea rows=”7″ cols=”12″><a href=”http://www.supermomsanctuary.com” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.angelavinezdesigns.com/supermom125.jpg” border=”0″ alt=”Super Mom Sanctuary”/></a></textarea></center>
Would look like this:
So, what are you waiting for? No excuses! Go add a “Grab My Button” section to your blog right now.
Don’t have a button to share? No problem. I can help. Pricing for 125×125 buttons starts at just $3! And not only do you get the button, but I will host your button on my website forever! I’ll send you the code to publish your button to your blog once the design is complete. Click here to pick the size/style of your custom button or banner, and I’ll get it made just for you!
If you successfully add a “Grab My Button” section to your blog thanks to this post, leave me a comment. I’d love to stop by and see!