Dealing with the H1N1 Virus

Not only do I have Jace recovering from his surgery this past Tuesday, where he had his tonsils and adenoids removed, but I also have Parker battling the H1N1 virus.

This has been quite a rough week. Jace’s worst day was Friday. I couldn’t get him to eat, drink, or do anything. He cried in constant pain all day long. That same day, Parker started to run a fever. At first, it stayed pretty low, not going above 101*. I honestly thought it was just teething. He’s working on his bottom molars right now, and his top molars were really tough when they came in. All of my kids have run fevers with teething – especially those molars – so I figured that’s all it was.

Until his temp reached 104* rectally. Then, I knew that this wasn’t teething, but something more. With his cough, runny nose, and now the high fever, the only thought I had on my mind was the Swine Flu.

I rushed Parker to the ER that evening. His rapid flu test came back negative, but the doctor said that that test is a lot like a pregnancy test: A positive is a positive, but a negative doesn’t necessarily mean a negative. There’s always a chance for a false negative. And, given all the symptoms Parker had, she was certain it was the swine flu – or the H1N1 virus.

They gave Parker another dose of Motrin, as well as a dose of Tamiflu. The doctor wrote a prescription for the Tamiflu and sent us home with guidlines on alternating Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours. They said if Parker’s temp went above 101.5*, he needed to come back right away.

On Saturday evening, it was almost time for Parker to get another dose of Tylenol. He was starting to feel warm, so I took his temp: 101.4*. Crap. So, I gave him the Tylenol, waited 40 minutes, and took his temp again. This time, it was 102.5*. Hubby was home and had the night off, so he bundled up Parker and headed to the ER.

When they arrived at the ER, Parker’s temp was still 102.1*. They ordered a full battery of chest x-rays, and waited until they could give him another dose of Motrin. His fever didn’t seem to want to come down.

They finally got his temperature down to 99.9*, so they sent Parker home around 3am. They gave Gene the same list of instructions on alternating Tylenol and Motrin, and told him that if Parker’s fever went above 103* or if he developed any new symptoms or had any difficulty breathing, he needed to come back right away.

On Sunday, Parker’s fever yo-yoed all day long. It’s not gone above 102.3, though, so I suppose that’s good news. And other than the fever, he’s doing ok. He’s tired, looks miserable, and doesn’t want to eat. But, he is drinking (nursing) a lot, and he’s still trying to run and play with the other kids, even though it wipes him out in minutes.

We opted not to get the H1N1 vaccine, and I don’t regret that decision – even after all this. But, I am praying – with every fiber of my being – that the other kids don’t get it. Especially Jace who is so susceptible to any infection right now.

This Mama is worn out and just plum exhausted. My apologies to the PR reps who are waiting on me to post their reviews and giveaways. I have to take time out for my family first. As soon as we are over this hump, and things are better, I will be back to my regular posting schedule. I will continue to post reviews and giveaways as I can, and appreciate everyone’s patience, love, and prayers as we try to get things back to normal around here.

Angie Vinez (2893 Posts)

Angie is a wife and mother to 8. Her life revolves around cooking, cleaning, laundry, and other household duties. She is passionate about her life in Christ and wants to encourage other mothers in their own walk of faith. Angie is active on many social media networks, loves technology, photography, and graphic design, and loves creating blog designs for other mom bloggers.



Comments

  1. 1

    Well after reading that, I am going to let the Dr. give my daughter the vaccine. She has a follow up today from having walking pneumonia, and he mentioned it last week.

  2. 2

    awww Hugs take it easy and don't worry about PR reps or anyone else. Family is always first. Hope everyone is feelign better soon.

  3. 3
    Blessed*with*Seven says:

    Angie,
    Thinking of you and your little ones and hoping it stays contained and Parker recovers quickly. We battled this in August & September with 5 of our children getting the H1N1 . Remember to get your rest too!!!
    Hang in there.

  4. 4

    I am praying for your family and have been keeping up on fb too. Do what you have to do Mama! It will get better soon.

  5. 5

    Angie, that picture is sooo sad! Poor little fella! I hope that he is MUCH better today and gets better each day. I am still praying for him, and praying that nobody else gets it! Big (((HUGS)))

  6. 6
    Lori Calabrese says:

    Hoping your little guy gets better soon! I just found out my niece and nephew have H1N1 and I'm worried about my two boys as they didn't get the vaccine either.

    Hang in there and just take care of that little guy–reviews can wait!

    All the best,
    Lori

  7. 7
    Prim 'n Purdy says:

    Angie…I am with you and will not get the vaccine, but I am very sorry to hear that the little guy isn't feeling well.

    I do hope that no one else gets sick. I'll be praying for you.

    Lori

Speak Your Mind

*

CommentLuv badge