For singer-songwriter Diane Birch, music was a refuge. Although Diane was born in Michigan, her childhood was spent on the move as the daughter of a preacher, living between Zimbabwe, South Africa and Australia, before her parents finally settled in Portland, Oregon. When she was in her early teens, Diane absorbed a unique and cosmopolitan perspective on life that shines through her music and makes a simple categorization of it impossible.
The result? Diane Birch sounds like an old favorite, with all the sparkle and magic of a breakthrough talent. People says she sounds like a combination of early Carole King, Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks, with a little Joss Stone and Cat Power mixed in. Bible Belt is only her first record, but it’s one of the most accomplished albums you’ll hear all year. From the opening track “Fire Escape” to the closing “Magic View,” Diane’s stunning voice is mesmerizing.
Written entirely by Diane, Bible Belt was recorded in New York City and New Orleans with an impressive team of Grammy-winning producers: S-Curve Records founder Steve Greenberg, soul legend Betty Wright and Mike Mangini, in their first project together since producing Joss Stone’s first albums.
Monkey Mama’s Review of Bible Belt
Thanks to the One2One Network, I had the opportunity to review Diane’s new CD, Bible Belt. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Many times when a child has grown up as a preacher’s kid and then records their own music, they tend to go off the deep end and get a little crazy. Diane’s CD certainly didn’t do that. Fun, uplifting, and full of fantastic songs, Bible Belt is great to listen to no matter what mood you’re in. I found myself listening to it as I studied my lessons for Vacation Bible School this week. I really enjoyed the jazz-like sounds of Diane’s voice. I could listen to this CD over and over again and not get bored with it!
Want to hear Diane for yourself? Here’s a link to the free download of the MP3 of Fire_Escape.
You can also find Diane on Myspace – http://www.myspace.com/dianebirch.
More Awesome Things Diane is Doing
If you were on Twitter last Tuesday night at all, you may have heard the buzz about our new “Discover and Donate” program for giving back to those in need when people buy her album.
Discover the critically acclaimed debut album from new artist Diane Birch. Donate $1 to charity. Automatically.
S-Curve Records and Diane Birch are proud to present Discover & Donate. You discover Diane Birch’s soulful debut album, Bible Belt,then you choose one of six charities to receive a $1 donation from your purchase.
PLUS, who ever raises the most money for charity through their widget by June 23, 2009, will win a FREE PRIVATE PERFORMANCE in the winner’s hometown!! (We’ll even throw in a few refreshments.) More albums sold means more money donated. How cool is that? Want to start sharing?
- Simply choose a custom Diane Birch widget from one of six charities: Autism Speaks, March of Dimes, Keep A Child Alive, Share Our Strength, SOS Children’s Villages and Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
- Post Diane’s widget on your blog, website or social networking page. It’s very simple: Just Click on the ‘Share’ button on the banner of your choice, then click on ‘Grab This Banner’ to copy the embed code for your blog.
- Post Diane’s widget on your blog, website or social networking page.
- Encourage your friends to discover Diane’s timeless debut that Billboard magazine calls “2009 Ones to Watch” to share your badge.
- For each person that buys the album from either the iTunes or Amazon link through the widget you posted, a $1donation per album sold will be made IN YOUR NAME!
Winner must be located within the Continental U.S. S-Curve Records will work with the winner of contest to determine best place for a performance in their locale. If winner declines a performance, the runner-up will be offered the prize.
There are so many great charities to choose from. I’m going to show my support for the March of Dimes:
Click to download the album on itunes or purchase the CD on Amazon, and $1 will automatically be donated to The March of Dimes. See how easy it is? Add the widget of your choice to your blog by going here.
Want to Win Your Very Own Copy of Bible Belt?
Go to Diane’s MySpace Page and tell me one thing about Diane that you learned about her.
For Extra Entries:
- Add any widget from the “Discover and Donate” program to your blog or website. (Leave a link in your comment.)
- Favorite Us on Technorati. (Leave your username)
- Subscribe to 5 Vinez Monkeys in a reader or by email.
- Blog about this giveaway. (Leave 5 comments – just be sure to include a link to your post in one of them.)
- Twitter about this contest. (Can be done an unlimited amount of times. Just include @angievinez or leave me a link to your tweet.)
If you already do any of the above, you qualify. Please leave a comment for each of the extra entries you complete. However, you must first leave the required comment as stated above.
Contest will end Sunday, June 21th at 11:59pm and the winner will be selected via random.org. Winner will be announced on Monday, June 22nd and will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Good luck to all who enter!