This giveaway will end Sunday, June 26th at 11:59pm EST.
Being a dad is tough. Really tough. You work hard, sacrifice your wants and needs for those of your children, and you feel a lot of pressure. I’m not a dad, but I am married to a really fantastic one, and I know that it’s not easy.
John Fuller, cohost on the daily Focus on the Family radio broadcast, has written a new book called First-Time Dad. While my husband isn’t a first time dad, had admires and respects John Fuller, and we both wanted to read the book. Here’s the synopsis:
Perhaps one of the most powerful influences in the world is that of a dad on his child.
As a first-time dad, you will encounter so many new experiences! You’ll gaze at tiny fingers and toes, change dirty diapers, initiate tickle attacks, endure sleepless nights, tell bedtime stories, field seemingly unanswerable questions, and so much more.
Focus on the Family ministry veteran (and father of six) John Fuller lets you in on the stuff you really need to know… because in just a few months or weeks or days, your life is going to change – forever.
What a great book! My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed the book, and after 6 of our own children, we were still able to learn a few things.
John Fuller takes an easy-going, excited approach to telling dads all the wonderful ways their lives will change after the baby is born. It’s not all sunshine and roses, and he makes that clear as well. Never in a condescending or “don’t do this” approach. He gives practical advice and tips on surviving work, marriage, and fatherhood.
My favorite chapter is Chapter 5: How a Baby Affects Your Marriage. Marriage takes a big hit after a new baby is born. It’s hard to make date night a reality, and sometimes marriage gets put on the back burner. John gives 7 healthy habits to make sure you are doing everything for your marriage. He also offers 5 tips to help your marriage survive a new baby. (And as a wife and mother of 6, I wholeheartedly agree with his tips!)
My husband read and re-read Chapter 4 over and over again. The title of it is “Break the Chain.” Whether you had an amazing father or an absent father, there will always be inherited negatives. Whether we want to admit it or not, we are just like our parents. (Ever said something and then immediately though, “When did my dad get here?” Those are some of the traits I’m talking about!) He reminds the men reading this book that no one is perfect. We all make mistakes. It’s how we react and recover from those mistakes that makes them good fathers.
Overall, this is an excellent book, and a must-read for any new father or father-to-be. Full of advice, tips, and more resources than one could imagine, this book tells dads everything they need to know about how much their life is about to change. I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to be the very best dad they can be. I am so thankful my husband and I both had the opportunity to read this book.
And, thanks to the kind people of Moody Publishers, I have a copy to give away to one of you!
Simply leave a comment on this post and tell me the answer to this question: Why do you want to win First-Time Dad?
*Mandatory. If this is not done, you cannot win.
Want Extra Entries?
- Blog About this Giveaway. Be sure to include a link to Blessed Beyond Words or this post. (5 extra entries)
- Subscribe to us via email. (2 extra entries.)
- Subscribe to us via reader. (1 extra entry.)
- Leave a comment on any non-giveaway post, and leave a comment here telling me which post you commented on. (Unlimited.)
- Become a fan of Blessed Beyond Words on Facebook. (Leave your Facebook first name and last initial, please.)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook. (Once per DAY – just leave a link, or copy/paste text that you posted with your Facebook User Name.)
- Follow Blessed Beyond Words on twitter. (Leave your twitter id, please!)
- Tweet about this contest. (1 Tweet Per DAY)
Use the re-tweet button above, or here’s a sample tweet:
- Win the book First-Time Dad & learn the stuff you really need to know. Giveaway hosted by @angievinez – Ends 6/22: http://bit.ly/iTlavm
- Grab our button and put it on your blog. (Leave us a link to your blog, please!)
- Add us to your blog roll. (Leave a link to your blog, please!)
- Follow our blog publicly through Google Friend Connect or Networked Blogs. (Leave a comment for each one that you do. Anonymous following doesn’t count.)
- Stumble this post. (Once. Please leave your stumbledupon username.)
- Follow Me on StumbleUpon. (Leave your username, please.)
- Join My BlogFrog Community. (Leave your username, please.)
- Write a Review on Alexa (3 extra entries. Please leave your Alexa username.)
Fine Print: Contest is open to residents of the US. If you already do any of the above, you qualify. Please leave a comment for each of the extra entries you complete. However, you must first leave the required comment as stated above. Giveaway will end on June 26th at 11:59pm (EST), and the winner will be selected via the “And the Winner is..” plugin. Winner will be notified via email upon selection, and will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Disclaimer: I was contacted by a representative of Moody Publishers. I received a copy of First-Time Dad in order to facilitate my review. I was in no other way compensated for this post. Opinions expressed are 100% my own. The sponsor is fulfilling the prize as stated above.