As many of you know, my son Jace started kindergarten last week. Since we decided to put the kids back in public school, I’ve actually been quite nervous about how Jace would do. Jace is an absolute sweetheart, but he can also be as mean as a bull sometimes when he doesn’t get his way. I don’t want him to be the bully at school, nor do I want him to feel like he’s different than anyone else or like he’s out of place.
That’s why I was so excited when I was asked to review the book “Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten” written by Audrey Vernick and illustrated by Daniel Jennewein. It arrived at the perfect time – just a few days before Jace was to start kindergarten. We read the book the afternoon that it arrived, and Jace loved it! The book is a fun look at first-day-of-school jitters from one of the most unique characters I’ve seen so far.
The book starts out with a buffalo joining a kindergarten class. He’s a bit shy, but the other kids take to him right away. The book then goes on to talk about how the buffalo is great at some things in kindergarten, but how he may need some extra help with other things. In one part of the book, the buffalo becomes angry when someone takes his blocks and calls him names. Instead of reacting with his horns in anger, he stops, takes a deep breath, and remembers the Rules for Sharing and Caring.
The entire book is fantastic, and it was exactly what Jace needed to read before he went into kindergarten. It helped calm his fears about the first day, and it brought up situations that made him curious and want to ask questions. We talked for quite some time about how he probably wouldn’t see a buffalo in his classroom, but how everyone is special and unique in their own way. And, Jace (being the brilliant boy that he is) asked, “So this means that if someone is different than me, I should still be their friend, right? Different doesn’t mean bad, right?” I was so proud. He understood the point of the story.
I love everything about this book – the fun story line, the lovable buffalo, the fun illustrations, and the message behind the story. And I love that it’s hardcover. It will last so much longer this way, and I plan to hold onto it for when Lucy, Parker, and the new baby take their turns at starting kindergarten.
This book would make the perfect addition to your home library if you’ve got a child in preschool or entering kindergarten soon, or donate it to your school’s preschool or kindergarten classroom. I’m certain the kids would enjoy it. Jace loved the book so much that he’s decided to take it along for his first show and tell this Friday. He can’t wait to share the book with all of his new friends.
Head to the author’s website and tell me one thing you learned about the author. It can be anything from a fun fact about her to another book that she’s written. Anything counts as long as I can tell you visited her website.
*Mandatory. If this is not done, you cannot win.
Want Extra Entries?
- Blog About this Giveaway. Be sure to include a link to 5 Vinez Monkeys and Is Your Buffalo Ready For Kindergarten?. (5 extra entries)
- Subscribe to us via email. (2 extra entries.)
- Subscribe to us via reader. (1 extra entry.)
- Become a fan of 5 Vinez Monkeys on Facebook. (Leave your Facebook first name and last initial, please.)
- Become a fan of Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? on Facebook. (Leave your Facebook first name and last initial, please.)
- Get and extra point if you leave a comment on the Buffalo’s Facebook Fan wall and tell them that Angie @ 5 Vinez Monkeys sent you. (One time. Leave a link to your comment, please.)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook. (Once per DAY – just leave a link, or copy/paste text that you posted with your Facebook User Name.)
- Follow 5 Vinez Monkeys on twitter. (Leave your twitter id, please!)
- Tweet about this contest. (1 Tweet Per DAY.)
- Grab our button and put it on your blog. (Leave us a link to your blog, please!)
- Add us to your blog roll. (Leave a link to your blog, please!)
- Follow our blog publicly – either through Google’s Followers Gadget or through Facebook’s Networked Blogs. (Leave a comment for each one that you do. Anonymous following doesn’t count.)
- Write a review of 5 Vinez Monkeys on Alexa. (3 extra entries. Leave your Alexa profile name, please.)
- Stumble this post. (Once. Please leave your stumbledupon username.)
Fine Print: Contest is open to residents of the US. If you already do any of the above, you qualify. Please leave a comment for each of the extra entries you complete. However, you must first leave the required comment as stated above. Giveaway will end on August 25th at 11:59pm (EST), and the winner will be selected via random.org. Winner will be notified via email upon selection, and will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Disclaimer: I was contacted by a member of Winsome Media Communications, and asked to do a review and giveaway of their client’s product. I received the products necessary to facilitate my candid review, and Winsome Media Communications will provide the prize to the winner. I was in no other way compensated for this post, but both the winner of this giveaway and I will be entered into the grand prize drawing for a personalized buffalo bag.