I love reading. If I weren’t so busy, I’d constantly be sitting somewhere with a good book in my hand. Right now, though, my reading time consists of an early-morning visit with my Bible or reading time with the kids throughout the day.
One thing that I encourage my kids to do is take some time every day to read. While we read books (sometimes all day long, and it’s the same books over and over again) during the day, Ashley and Zander are each required to put in 20 minutes of quiet reading time per day. I take that time to read to Lucy, Jace, and Parker.
I recently had the opportunity to test out the digital bookmark from Mark My Time. Before I get to our review, here’s a little information about Mark My Time from their website:
mark-my-time, LLC, is a Phoenix-based designer and developer of innovative educational products designed to facilitate the learning process. We are committed to supporting educators, librarians and families in their effort to make learning easier and more enjoyable.
The company’s premier product—the mark-my-time digital bookmark—was introduced to the mass retail market in 2004. The company’s products are sold through a number of leading retailers and can also be ordered directly through the web site.
My Review of Mark-My-Time
Mark My Time sent me two of their digital bookmarks. One to review (pink) and one to giveaway (green). As I stated above, reading is a very big deal in this house, and I love anything that encourages my kids to read more.
There are several modes to the digital bookmark: A clock, a timer, and a count up setting. The clock is great just for when you need to see what time it is. The timer is perfect for when your child doesn’t necessarily want to sit down and read. The little alarm that sounds at the end of the set time is great for letting them know their time is up. The count up setting is perfect for setting larger goals – weekly or monthly – and helping kids achieve them. That’s how Zander likes to use the bookmark. He set a goal of reading 4 hours in one week. (His goal, not mine.) He used the bookmark each day to track his time. He ended up passing the 4 hour goal in just 3 days! He ended up with just over 8 hours of reading time – more than doubling the goal that he’d set for himself. (Yes, he loves reading.)
If you are struggling with getting your child to read this summer, I’d encourage you create a reading chart. Grab a Mark-My-Time digital bookmark, set a daily reading goal, and then reward them when they’ve filled up their chart. It’s a great way to get them reading more, and it will help aid with spelling, grammar, and their writing skills. And, it’s just a really great way to spend some quiet time together.
The Mark My Time digital bookmark can be found at the following locations (taken from their “Where to buy” page):
Internet sitesCatalogue SalesReally Good Stuff203-261-1920 x194Calloway House, Inc717-299-5703 x323
You can also check to see where to purchase it locally on their “Where to Buy Page.” Just select your state in the box, click “Go” and a list of local retailers will pop up.
Now, we get to share this fantastic product with you! We’ve got a bright green Mark-My-Time digital bookmark to give away to one of our 5 Vinez Monkeys readers.
Leave a comment here and tell me ways that you encourage your children to read during the summer.
*Mandatory. If this is not done, you cannot win.
Want Extra Entries?
- Blog About this Giveaway. Be sure to include a link to 5 Vinez Monkeys. (5 extra entries)
- Subscribe to us via email. (2 extra entries. Subscribing to feed in a reader no longer counts.)
- Become a fan of 5 Vinez Monkeys on Facebook. (Leave your Facebook first name and last initial, please.)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook. (Once per DAY – just leave a link, or copy/paste text that you posted with your Facebook User Name.)
- Write a review of 5 Vinez Monkeys on Alexa. (3 extra entries. Leave your Alexa profile name, please.)
- Follow 5 Vinez Monkeys on twitter. (Leave your twitter id and a link to your tweet here, please!)
- Tweet about this contest daily. (1 Tweet Per DAY.)
- Grab our button and put it on your blog. (Leave us a link to your blog, please!)
- Add us to your blog roll. (Leave a link to your blog, please!)
- Follow our blog publicly – either through Google’s Followers Gadget or through Facebook’s Networked Blogs. (Leave a comment for each one that you do. Anonymous following doesn’t count.)
- Stumble this post. (Once. Please leave your stumbledupon username.)
Fine Print: Contest is open to US Continental Residents ONLY. If you already do any of the above, you qualify. Please leave a comment for each of the extra entries you complete. However, you must first leave the required comment as stated above. Giveaway will end on July 14th at 11:59pm (EST), and the winner will be selected via random.org. Winner will be notified via email upon selection, and will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Disclaimer: I was contacted by a PR rep from Falls Communications on behalf of Mark-My-Time. I was sent the products necessary to create this review and giveaway. I was in no other way compensated for this post, and all opinions expressed are 100% my own.