National Licorice Day sounds like a day I can really get excited about. Why? Because I *love* licorice. I have since I was a little girl. I remember every time we’d travel from Ohio to Georgia as a kid, Mom and Dad would make sure we had plenty of Red Vines and Black Licorice for snacking on. It was awesome.
Now, here we are, all these years later, and I’ve passed my love of licorice on to each of my kids. When I told them about National Licorice Day and that we’d be getting samples to review before the big day, they all jumped with joy. We love licorice!
For the review, I received an assortment of different licorice flavors: Red Vines, Grapevines, Natural Vines, and Red Vines Black Licorice Twists.
Mmmmmmm Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmm! So yummy!
While part of me wanted to hide the box in my underwear drawer so that no one else could find it, I decided it would be better for me to share. And, besides, they all knew the box was coming. I didn’t want sticky little fingers rummaging through my unmentionables. 😉
Red Vines are always a hit with everyone. That’s a given. They’re what gets packed in the snack bag before any road trip, and what gets tossed in the cart before every family movie night.
I had never tried the Grapevines or Natural Vines before. The Grapevines were amazing. Seriously. I liked them every bit as much as the Original Red Vines. The Natural Vines were also quite good. In fact, my 8 year old, Jace, declared that the Natural Vines, (in the Black Licorice flavor), were his absolute favorite.
Lucy, Parker, and Gage had never had black licorice before, and I was anxious to see what they thought. Wouldn’t you know it? They took after their Mommy and absolutely loved it!
My favorite thing about licorice, though, is that it’s always fat free. I can munch on a piece of licorice and not feel like I’ve just undone my entire day of eating right.
Make sure you stock up on Red Vines before this Friday, and then have lots of fun celebrating National Licorice Day together!
Before I go, I want to leave you with a few “Did you know” facts about Licorice:
- Did You Know…. More than 30,000 tons of Red Vines® are made each year—or more than 400,000 miles of licorice—enough to wrap around the Earth more than 16 times!
- Did You Know…. Black licorice is 50 times sweeter than sugar, and derives its botanical name from the Greek words meaning “sweet root.”
- Did You Know…. In 2011, U.S. licorice sales topped $359 million, a 6.56 percent increase from the year before. It is part of the non-chocolate candy market, which had total sales of $6.87 billion.
- Did You Know…. Celebrities love Red Vines! Ryan Gosling, Snoop Dogg, Joshua Jackson, Jennette McCurdy and Magic Johnson are all fans of the classic licorice brand. Betty White even credits them with keeping her 91 years young.
- Did You Know…. American Licorice Company has been producing in the San Francisco Bay Area for 33 years, and its Union City, Calif., factory values process before automation: The old press that delivers the dough to the first floor is still there, the second floor cook room has large kettles that fill the dough into the old large spiral ovens before being checked for quality and packaged. It also has production facilities in La Porte, Ind.
I’m ready for National Licorice Day, are you?!
Disclaimer: I received samples of licorice from the American Licorice Company in order to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own and have not been influenced in any way.