Susan M. Heim is a fellow blogger that I’ve followed for quite some time. She is an amazing mother of 4, author, and all around person. I always enjoy checking out her blog and seeing what she has to say. (She recently did a guest post on 5 Vinez Monkeys about twins. If you haven’t read it yet, I’d really recommend you hop on over here and read it: The Mystery of Twins: 5 Questions Answered)
Recently, Susan contacted me and asked if I would like to review a book that she co-authored with 2 other women called “Oh, Baby! 7 Ways a Baby Will Change Your Life the First Year.” How could I refuse? I love Susan’s writing style, and I was anxious to read what she and her fellow authors had to say about such a topic.
Before I get to my review of the book, here’s a short synopsis from Susan:
Are you ever really prepared for your first child? Or even the second or third? So you’ve got the nursery set up, the diapers bought and the pediatrician selected, but you may be shocked at how, despite your best efforts, you’re totally unprepared for parenthood! Oh, Baby will provide you with the “real story” about the many ways a new baby will turn your life upside-down. While this book is realistic in the ways that life is changed post-baby, it offers practical advice and sensitive know-how to help you survive–and even thrive!–in the first year. Through the use of fascinating narratives, poignant questions, suggested activities and experienced advice, you’ll find solutions that maximize an optimistic view in tackling the challenges that are naturally a part of new parenthood. Best of all, your new coping skills will free you up from the stresses of that first year so you can love your baby–and cherish your new family–for the ultimate parenting experience! Oh, Baby is a proud Mom’s Choice Awards Gold Recipient!
My Review of Oh, Baby!
This is such a great book. It was funny, because when it arrived in the mail, my husband was the one to open the package. When he saw the title of the book, he got a puzzled look on his face and asked, “Haven’t you figured this out by now?” He was kidding, of course, and started flipping through the book. He ended up stopping at chapter 6, a book entirely about faith and beliefs. He stopped skimming and started reading. I watched as his head nodded in total agreement the more he read. At the end of the chapter, he looked at me and said, “WOW. They’re right on.”
I couldn’t take it any longer. I forced him to hand over the book, and I put it in the recliner so I could dive into it later that evening. After the kids were tucked in bed, and hubby and I were having our own quiet time, I started reading. It took only a couple of nights of reading to finish the book, and I am really impressed with how spot-on they are about all the issues. A baby will change your life, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. And it doesn’t matter if this is your first, second, or thirteenth child, this book is a great read for any expecting mother.
One thing that I really love is that the book includes discussion questions. They’re not just there to fill up the page, either. They really get you thinking. I would have loved to have had this with every pregnancy. I can only imagine how much my answers to some of the questions would change each time around.
And, as noted above, it’s not just for moms-to-be. This is a great book for dads to read as well. Read it together and discover all the ways your family will change – for the better – when baby arrives. It gives solutions to common problems that many couples face – surviving and thriving as a couple, returning to work after baby is born, leaving baby with a sitter, and on and on. The “Take Action” boxes found throughout the book give good, practical advice on steps to take and things to do. The book is really full of excellent resources all the way through.
I am so glad I got to review this book. Bettie B. Youngs, Ph.D., Ed.D, Susan M. Heim, and Jennifer L. Youngs have done an excellent job of getting to the “heart” of parenting. These ladies will guide new (and experienced) parents on welcoming a new baby into their home – whether it’s the first time or the fifteenth.
I recommend this book to any new mom-to-be, and give it the 5 Vinez Monkeys Seal of Approval. To learn more about the book and the authors, please visit their website: http://www.ababywillchangeyourlife.com/
You Can WIN! I get to give away 5 copies of this fantastic book to my readers!
Mandatory: Visit the Oh, Baby! 7 ways a Baby Will Change Your Life the First Year” website and then come back here and tell me one of the 7 key areas where your life will change with a new baby.
*Mandatory. If this is not done, you cannot win.
Want Extra Entries?
- Blog About this Giveaway. Be sure to include a link to 5 Vinez Monkeys and the Oh, Baby! 7 ways a Baby Will Change Your Life the First Year” website. (5 extra entries)
- Subscribe to us via email. (2 extra entries.)
- Subscribe to us via reader. (1 extra entry.)
- Become a fan of 5 Vinez Monkeys on Facebook. (Leave your Facebook first name and last initial, please.)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook. (Once per DAY – just leave a link, or copy/paste text that you posted with your Facebook User Name.)
- Follow 5 Vinez Monkeys and Susan Heim on twitter. (Leave your twitter id, please!)
- Tweet about this contest. (1 Tweet Per DAY.)
- Grab our button and put it on your blog. (Leave us a link to your blog, please!)
- Grab the Baby Bonanza button and put it on your blog. (Leave us a link to your blog, please!)
- Add us to your blog roll. (Leave a link to your blog, please!)
- Follow our blog publicly – either through Google’s Followers Gadget or through Facebook’s Networked Blogs. (Leave a comment for each one that you do. Anonymous following doesn’t count.)
- Write a review of 5 Vinez Monkeys on Alexa. (3 extra entries. Leave your Alexa profile name, please.)
- Stumble this post. (Once. Please leave your stumbledupon username.)
- **NEW** Vote for Me on Top Mommy Blogs. (2 extra entries. Can be done daily. Click the link or the button in my sidebar, then you must click on the words “Click here to vote.” Leave 2 comments every day you vote!)
Fine Print: Contest is open to residents of the US. If you already do any of the above, you qualify. Please leave a comment for each of the extra entries you complete. However, you must first leave the required comment as stated above. Giveaway will end on October 24th at 11:59pm (EST), and the winner will be selected via random.org. Winner will be notified via email upon selection, and will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Disclaimer: I was contacted by one of the authors of “Oh, Baby! 7 ways a Baby Will Change Your Life the First Year”. I received a copy of the book to facilitate my review. I have not been compensated in any other way for this post, and opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own. The sponsor is fulfilling the winners’ prizes as stated above.