Penny & Rio are two dogs who are complete opposites. Penny is curious and always on the go, while Rio prefers a good nap. At their new house, Penny discovers that their backyard is the meeting place for several different animals. Penny doesn’t know why a cat, a groundhog, a squirrel, and an owl could possibly be meeting, but she knows she has to find out. She comes up with an ingenious plan for sying on them and discovers their plot. She has to stop them – but can she get her sister god, Rio, to help her or will Rio decide that sleep is more important?
(Taken from Penny & Rio: The Mysterious Backyard Meeting)
Before I get to my (and Zander’s!) review of the Penny and Rio Mysteries, I wanted to share some facts about these wonderful books with you.
- These books have received the Mom’s Choice Awards for Honoring Excellence.
- The books are fun and endearing and place importance on family history and ties.
- Readers can buy a copy of the book on the Penny and Rio site and Jennifer will autograph it personally for the child who will be receiving it.
- Readers can contact their school or local library and request the library purchase the book for their children’s collection. Jennifer provides a “forms” tab on her site that helps readers to make the request! So easy!
- Unique Gift Idea: Penny and Rio books are available, starting Nov 3, on the Ripple Reader site! Ripple Reader is a web based audio player. Adults use Ripple Reader to make personalized audio recordings of children’s picture books. Children use it to listen to these custom recordings over and over. GREAT idea for military families or for grandparents who live far away. Imagine being able to read a bed time story to your child when you are away!
- Penny and Rio books are now also available on Kindle!
My Review of the Penny & Rio Mysteries
MommyPR sent me a copy of both Penny & Rio: The Mysterious Backyard MeetingPenny & Rio: The Locked Doghouse Mystery and for this review. I am always excited about finding new children’s books and getting my kids excited about reading.
The author, Jennifer Swanson, signed the book to all of the kids. I think it’s wonderful that the author goes one step above and does that for each recipient of her book. It says a lot about her character, and it truly impressed me.
When Zander saw the books sitting on the coffee table, his eyes got as big as saucers. “Mom, are those books for me? Can I read them? Right now? Please?” He didn’t want to wait for me to read the stories to them, he wanted to read them right that minute. And he did. He sat down and read both stories, (out loud so Jace and Lucy could listen, too), cover to cover.
After finishing both books, he wanted more. He instantly fell in love with both Penny and Rio. For the rest of the day, all he talked about were the dogs in these books. “Mom, if I had dogs, they would be just like Penny and Rio. But they wouldn’t have to stop solving mysteries because I came home. I would let them do it, and I would help them, too!” “Mom, I really think we need a dog.” “Mom, can I go read the books again, to myself this time?” “Mom, these are the best books ever. Thank you for letting me read them.”
As you can tell, Zander was quite impressed. And I love how much he loved the books. The books were easy enough for him to read, the stories were easy to follow, and all of the characters absolutely made the story. The books are illustrated perfectly for the story, and the kids loved discussing the pictures while reading. I, too, would encourage parents who want to help solidify a love of reading in their children to check out Penny and Rio.
Want to Try the Penny & Rio Mysteries for Yourself?
I’ve got a copy of Penny and Rio: The Locked Doghouse Mystery that will be personally autographed by the author, Jennifer, with a special message to the recipient.
Visit the Penny & Rio website and watch one of the Trailers for the books. Leave a comment letting me know which trailer you watched and what you thought.
*Mandatory. If this is not done, you cannot win.
Want Extra Entries?
- Blog About this Giveaway by copying and pasting the following (5 extra entries) :
Woof! Woof! Two brand new detectives are on the case. Penny & Rio are their names, and solving cases is their game. Kids of all ages will love reading along as Penny & Rio solve their latest mystery: The Locked Doghouse Mystery. Angie at 5 Vinez Monkeys is hosting a giveaway on her blog, and if you’re the winner, you can have this book personally autographed by the author and sent right to your door. You won’t want to miss this giveaway! Stop by before 11:59pm ET on December 6th and enter to win!
- Subscribe to us via email or reader. (Leave a comment for each that you do.)
- Follow us on twitter. (Leave your twitter handle here, please!)
- Follow Jennifer on twitter. (Leave your twitter handle here, please!)
- Tweet about this contest. (Unlimited – just leave a comment for each tweet!)
- Grab our button and put it in your sidebar. (Leave us a link to your blog, please!)
- Follow our blog – either through Google’s Followers Gadget or through Facebook’s Networked Blogs. Leave a comment for each one that you do.
- Join the Penny & Rio Group on Facebook. (Leave your Facebook handle, please!)
- Request a book for your local library (Use the Forms tab to do so. Then leave a comment here letting us know that you did.)
Contest is open to residents of the US. If you already do any of the above, you qualify. Please leave a comment for each of the extra entries you complete. However, you must first leave the required comment as stated above. Giveaway will end on Saturday, December 6th at 11:59pm (EST), and the winner will be selected via random.org. Winner will be announced by Monday, December 8th, and will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Disclaimer: MommyPR sent me autographed copies of the books named above to get my honest and candid review. I was in no other way compensated for this post. The free products did not influence my opinion in any way.