Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Hodgson Mill. I received samples in order to create this recipe, and am being entered into a contest along with other bloggers. Any opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Anyone that knows me knows that I am by no means a chef. But, if there’s one thing I love to make, it’s cookies. Especially during the Christmas season. I love giving homemade cookies as gifts to teachers, neighbors, friends, and loved ones. And there’s nothing better than spending time with my kids in the kitchen.
I have recently made the switch to Hodgson Mill White Whole Wheat Flour for all of my cooking and baking. Why? Because it’s a better choice for myself and my family. Earlier this year, I made some big changes in our household, and that includes the way we eat. Now, whenever a recipe calls for flour, I pull out my bag of Hodgson Mill White Whole Wheat Flour. It works just like regular flour, tastes great, and it’s just better for everyone.
For this post, Hodgson Mill asked me to create an original recipe for a holiday cookie. Since that’s one thing I absolutely love to make, I jumped right on board!
Year ago, my grandmother gave me her oatmeal cookie recipe. (Which is my absolute favorite cookie in the world.) I decided to take Grandma’s recipe and change it up into what is now knows as “Oatmeal Cherry Delights” or “Santa’s Favorite Cookie.” And trust me, in this house, these ARE Santa’s favorite cookies. These cookies are perfect for cookie exchanges, giving as gifts, or leaving a few for Santa to enjoy on Christmas Eve.
Oatmeal Cherry Delights
- Medium to Large Mixing Bowl
- Greased Cookie Sheets
- 3 cups Hodgson Mill White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 4 cups Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Butter, Softened
- 1 jar Maraschino Cherries, chopped (16 ounce jar)
- Juice from the jar of Maraschino Cherries
- 2 Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars (4.4 ounce each), crushed
- In a medium or large mixing bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla and juice from the jar of maraschino cherries.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, then stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Add in chopped cherries and crushed chocolate and mix well.
- Cover the bowl, and chill the dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Do not flatten cookies, but you can add sprinkles if desired.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes in preheated oven. Allow the cookies to cool on a baking sheet for approximately 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the cookies are cool, you’re ready to enjoy them!
My kids absolutely flipped over these cookies, and they’re our new favorite Holiday cookie. I have a feeling we’ll be making these every year from here on out, and it’s all thanks to Hodgson Mill.
To get you into the baking spirit, Hodgson Mill has some great things going on right now. You won’t want to miss out on these!
First of all, CLICK HERE for a $1.00 off coupon on any 5LB bag of Hodgson Mill flour or cornmeal, which can be redeemed nationwide.
Next, be sure to enter the 25 Days of Grain Holiday Sweepstakes with a chance to win fantastic prizes from Hodgson Mill every day from now until Christmas!
And, lastly, use the Rafflecopter Gadget below to enter to win a prize pack of Hodgson Mill goodies – winner’s choice of gluten free products or a selection of whole wheat items ($25 value).
Have a GRAIN holiday, everyone, and let’s get to baking! 🙂