Parenting Issues: My Child Swallowed A Quarter

Kids are kids, and kids will do stupid things. Ok, honestly? Adults do stupid things too, but at least kids have an excuse: they really may not know any better.

Last night, we had one of those heart-stopping moments. I had put all the kids to bed, and I was sitting on the couch listening to music and trying to catch up on posts.

All of a sudden, Jace comes flying out of his room, hands around his throat, hacking like he had a hairball. I ran to him, asked him what happened, and waited for a minute to make sure he was really ok. He could breathe, and he could talk, so I knew there wasn’t any immediate danger… no need to panic, call 911 or perform CPR. He told me that he had swallowed a quarter. {Jace is 7. I still can’t figure out what on earth possessed this child to even put a quarter in his mouth. But I digress…}

Then he went into a full-fledged panic attack. He kept crying that his chest hurt, and that he was going to die. Jace is emotional, but this was a new side I had never seen to him. He was truly convinced he was not going to survive having swallowed this quarter.

Of course hubby was still at work, and Ashley was off with her best friend and my best friend at a Chorus concert. That left me and 5 kids home, and I had to figure out how to get one of those kids to the hospital. I called my friend and asked how soon she would be home. In less than 5 minutes, her husband was at my house so that I could take Jace to the ER.

It was a VERY good thing I took him in. {Note to parents: If you’re not sure you should take your child in or not, DO IT.}

They did an x-ray right away, and it revealed that the quarter had gotten stuck at the sphincter at the end of the esophagus. They gave us 2 options: 1. Give Jace a medicine {shot} to open up the sphincter, or 2. Jam a tube down his throat and force the quarter on through. Obviously, we opted for choice #1.

They gave him a shot in the rear, and we waited. And waited. About 45 minutes later, they brought the x-ray machine into the room and did two more x-rays to determine if the quarter had passed through the sphincter. We waited and waited some more. And then we waited even longer.

Finally, the doctor came in the room and showed us the second set of x-rays. You could see that the quarter had passed through the sphincter and was in the stomach. He assured us that it should be smooth sailing from here on out. {And I say that literally.} He did say that there was a slight chance it could get stuck again in the intestine, so if Jace has any pain, we have to take him back to the ER. I am hoping and praying that this is the end of it, and in the next 24 – 48 hours, the quarter is gone from his system.

While the waiting was ridiculous, I am so glad I took him in. We could have had serious complications when he went to eat something if the quarter hadn’t gotten through the sphincter.

Kids are kids, and kids put all sorts of stuff in their mouth. I am quite certain that after tonight’s episode, Jace will be much more careful about where he puts his money. And from now on, I will be making sure any loose change is in the piggy bank – and not where someone could get to it!

Have you had a child swallow money? What was your experience?

My Very Own Super Soaker

And, no. This post has nothing to do with squirt guns.

The issue is with my baby boy. There’s not a single diaper on the market that can contain his – well, you know – during the night. I’ve never seen a baby “go” so much during the night. Ever. And I have six kids.

I refuse to buy Huggies Diapers. They size their diapers so small that I have to buy size THREE diapers for my 5 month old. Parker can still wear a size 3 Pampers, and he’s almost 3! And don’t even get me started on those new slip-on diapers. You couldn’t pay me to try them. (Well, you could probably pay me to try them, but I’m pretty sure I’d still hate them as much as I think I would.)

Pampers are much better size-wise, but they still don’t hold everything that comes out over night. Even during the day, I’m changing him every hour or so. We’re going through way too many diapers, and it’s leaving me broke and frustrated.

For the past 3 nights, I have put him in a disposable diaper with an all-in-one cloth diaper over top. And for the past 3 nights, he has woken up at 3 am because he is completely soaked… just like every other night before.

It is beyond frustrating. I have a feeling that my next trip to Walmart will include a purchase of those plastic cover-up pants, because I simply don’t know what else to do!

I will say that this is the first time in a very long time that I’ve had a mostly formula fed baby. I get the fact that he’s taking in more, and will therefore put out more, but my child can’t be the only child on earth that will pee through anything.

Gage would sleep all night long if he didn’t wake up completely soaked through. I have got to get this issue nipped in the bud, and quickly – for all of our sanity!

Have you had a super soaker in your life? How did you handle it? Any tips you want to share?

gage 5 months