It’s Official… Recurrent Ear Infections Means Tubes!

It looks like my little boy will soon be undergoing yet another surgery. This one is far less complicated, and much more common than his last surgery, though, so I’m trying not to stress out about it too much.

Gage gets ear infections all the time. About 3 weeks ago, we were at the doctor’s office, and she said that if he gets another ear infection in the next month, we may need to consider having tubes put in his ears.

Well, this past Friday night, Gage started running a low-grade fever. I prayed it was just the crud that everyone seems to have right now, but in my heart I knew better.

By 3 am, he had a raging fever of 104.

I tried all day to get his fever down: cool rags, Tylenol/Motrin cocktail, etc., but nothing worked. At 5pm Saturday night, I decided it was time to take a trip to the ER.

After a 3 hour wait, and their failed attempts to get his fever down, the doctor finally came in. Sure enough, another double ear infection. The doctor decided our best option was to give him a shot of antibiotics, and send him home.

The next day, his fever finally broke, and he started acting better. But it wasn’t until yesterday that he was finally back to his old self, playing and goofing around like the crazy kid he usually is.

This morning, I had a follow up appointment with his pediatrician. She checked his ears, and they are still severely infected. The shot he got most likely helped his fever, but it didn’t do a thing for his poor ears. So, he’s on another round of antibiotics, and we’ll meet with the Pediatric ENT next Wednesday. I’m guessing we’ll set a surgery date then.

It breaks my heart to see him in constant pain. I know the tubes will help. My oldest daughter went through the exact same thing when she was about Gage’s age. Only then, doctors didn’t want to put tubes in kids’ ears. She’s now 15, and she still has trouble with her ears. I don’t want Gage to go through that. And I’m afraid that if we don’t get the tubes soon, he will have an absolutely miserable winter. I think it’s best to just get it over and done with now – especially before Carly makes her appearance. It’s just the thought of another surgery for my baby that has me worried….

Any parents out there had experience with tubes? What do I need to know before and after surgery? I’d love any tips or advice you can give!

Thankful for a Successful Surgery

Recently, I shared with you all that Gage had to visit a pediatric neurosurgeon, and they decided that he needed to have surgery to have the cyst removed. Surgery was scheduled for Monday, September 10th, and plans were made for hubby and I to spend a few days in Atlanta around Gage’s surgery. That way, he wouldn’t have to travel 3+ hours right before or right after his surgery.

Last week was complete chaos, and part of me wondered if the surgery was even going to happen.

On Friday, the neurosurgeon’s office called me and said they needed to reschedule Gage’s surgery for another day. Not a good thing to tell a pregnant, emotional mother. I’m ashamed to admit that I had total meltdown on the phone with the poor scheduling nurse. But, we had already booked a hotel, scheduled a rental car, AND taken vacation time, so moving it just wasn’t an option. After freaking out with everyone that I could, the practice manager agreed to call me back and let me know what they could do.

Later that afternoon, he called me back and told me that Dr. Brahma agreed to do Gage’s surgery after the emergency patient. The only drawback was it meant that Gage wouldn’t be able to eat or drink all day. I knew Gage would be ok, because he had just survived that same thing on our last trip down.

On Saturday morning, hubby woke up with horrible pains in his back. He had every symptom of a kidney stone. By that afternoon, he was in bad shape. Sick as could be, and in so much pain. A trip to the ER proved that it was a kidney stone, and he could be in pain for a few hours, or a few days. Not exactly what I wanted to hear the day before we were supposed to leave for Atlanta.

Luckily, hubby woke up the next morning back to his old self, so the trip was able to go as planned. We arrived at the hotel around 7:30 Sunday night, and got Gage settled. The next day, we puttered around Atlanta while we waited for 4pm to get there.

Just before 2pm, the hospital called and asked if we could come in right away. The surgery before his was finished sooner than expected, and they wanted to get Gage in early. Since our hotel was right across the street from the hospital, we were able to be there in less than 5 minutes.

Then, we waited. First in the waiting room, then in Gage’s surgery recovery room. They made him comfortable, got him in a gown, and gave him some “happy juice” – medicine that would calm him down and allow them to give him the anesthesia. His nurses were incredible. They kept hubby and I calm and assured us they would take extra good care of our little boy.

Just before 4pm, they wheeled him back to surgery. Up until that point, I had been ok. But, once he was gone, my heart sank to my stomach.

Not 5 minutes after they had wheeled him back, the fire alarm went off. Lights were flashing, alarms sounding, people running around like crazy, and “Code Red” being shouted over the intercom. They shut us in Gage’s room and wouldn’t tell us what was going on.

It was at that point that I lost it. I hadn’t cried until that point, but I had no idea what was going on. I didn’t know if Gage was ok, where the fire was, or anything. I was a mess. Luckily, hubby was in there with me, so he let me cry, and we prayed together. Less than 5 minutes later, the alarms stopped, and “All Clear” came over the intercom.

At 4:30pm, the surgeon came into our room to let us know that Gage’s surgery was complete. He said they were able to get the cyst out in one piece, but it wasn’t a dermoid cyst as they had originally thought. He had never seen a cyst like this one before, so they needed to send it off to pathology to find out exactly what was in there. He said we needed to come back to his office in 2 weeks to have the suture removed and get the pathology report. Another trip to Atlanta. Yippee. (sarcasm!)

A few minutes later, they wheeled Gage back. He was comfortably resting, and they told us to let him sleep off the anesthesia for at least 45 minutes.


Forty five minutes later, we tried waking him up. Poor thing was miserable. Wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t drink, just screamed and cried. I was terrified they were going to make him stay overnight. Luckily, he had an amazing nurse that knew he was ok, he just needed out of the hospital. Since he had taken 2 bites of Jello and kept them down, she got anesthesia to sign him out.

We got back to the hotel, and he was a completely different kid. He even ate more than I did! Hubby picked up pizza from Pizza Hut, and Gage ate 3 pieces of pizza and 2 breadsticks. Plus about a million goldfish crackers. Surgery must have made him hungry. 🙂

He does have a nasty cut from the surgery, but he hasn’t acted like it’s bothered him at all. Since we left the hospital, he hasn’t once acted like he was in pain.


I am so thankful that his surgery went so well. He didn’t have any complications or side effects from the anesthesia. He recovered super fast, and whatever was under the skin in his head is now gone. God is so good, and He kept His hand on my little boy the whole time.

I’ve called the office to schedule his follow up appointment. I’m anxious to find out what the pathology report reveals. I’m hopeful that it’s nothing, and that because they were able to remove it, we won’t have any further problems or surgeries. I will keep you posted.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, emails, and kind words. I am certain they are what kept him so safe.

Now, I’m praying things can get back to normal around here… whatever normal is!

A Visit with a Pediatric Neurosurgeon

Yesterday was an incredibly difficult day for myself and my husband, and not just because of the title of this message. Before I get into the visit, I need to give you a little back story first…

Several weeks ago, I was giving Gage his nightly bath. As I rubbed the shampoo into his head, I noticed an odd little lump. I showed it to my husband, and we decided to watch it for a day or two and see if it went away. What we both noticed, though, was that this lump wasn’t like a normal “I fell and hit my head” bump. The bump was rock hard, and just seemed so odd.

After a few days, the bump still hadn’t gone away, so I scheduled an appointment with his doctor. She said it felt like a bone spur or a cyst, but we would need to take Gage to a specialist to know for sure. Because we live in the middle of nowhere, that meant taking Gage to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite… a 3 hour drive from us.

I called and scheduled an appointment with the Pediatric Neurosurgeons at Scottish Rite Hospital, but they couldn’t get us in for several weeks. Over the past few weeks, we’ve watched as the lump enlarged, then got so small it almost disappeared, and then started to get larger again. For weeks, I have worried, stressed, and prayed constantly. It’s funny – just a few months ago, when it was me dealing with a lump in my breast, I was calm, level-headed, and certain everything was going to be fine. Now that it’s Gage, though, my heart has been in knots since we scheduled the appointment with the neurosurgeons.

The day for Gage’s appointment finally arrived. Yesterday morning, we loaded the older kids on the bus, ran to a very dear friend’s house to borrow her car, and headed down to Atlanta. Our appointment was scheduled for 11:00am, and we finally arrived about 10:45am. It was a long trip, but both Parker and Gage did great the whole way down.

The pediatric neurosurgeon’s office was full of so many sick children. It was heartbreaking. I couldn’t help but hold my boys a little tighter and thank the Lord for keeping them from harm thus far.

Around 11:15, they called us back into an office. We met with the Neurosurgeon’s nurse practitioner. She was nice, and Gage didn’t freak out too badly when she came near him. (He’s at the stage where doctors = evil.) She examined the lump, told us that she thought it was a dermatoid cyst, and said that the doctor would be in to see us shortly. She mentioned that it is definitely a benign thing, but it will most likely need removed.

A few minutes later, the doctor came in. He was, hands down, one of the kindest doctors I have ever taken my children to. He examined the lump for quite some time, took some measurements, and asked us about any changes we’ve seen in the lump over the past few weeks. We told him about the changes in size, but how it hasn’t ever seemed to bother Gage.

The doctor explained that he truly believes it is a dermatoid cyst, and he explained it in full detail. When your skin flakes off on the outside, it creates dust. Sometimes, your skin flakes off on the inside, and it causes a cyst. If that cyst isn’t removed quickly, it can actually burrow itself into the bone, replacing the bone with itself. This makes that part of the bone much weaker, and since Gage’s is on his skull, this isn’t something we should just “wait out.” The only thing he wasn’t 100% sure of is if the cyst has started burrowing into the skull yet. He seemed concerned that it had, since typically, you can move a dermatoid cyst around under the skin. Gage’s doesn’t move. Most likely it has attached itself to the skull – whether it’s burrowing yet or not, they don’t know.

So, he recommended we go downstairs in the hospital to radiology to have a head CT scan done. The CT scan would give the doctors a better idea of what they’re about to cut into.

We scheduled his surgery for Monday, September 10th. If the cyst is not into the skull yet, it should be a fairly easy surgery. We’ll go in at 8am and be able to leave the hospital around noon. If the cyst has started burrowing, it will require a much more intricate surgery, as well as an overnight stay. The CT scan should tell us which surgery we should probably expect, but he told us we should still be prepared for anything.

We left the neurosurgeon’s office around 12:30pm, and headed down to patient registration to wait for them to send us over to radiology. We were told it would be a 30 – 45 minute wait. We were all hungry, since no one had eaten anything, so we figured we could wait another 30 – 45 minutes and then get something to eat.

3 hours later, we were finally called back to radiology. At this point, it’s 3:30pm. None of us had eaten all day, and Parker and Gage hadn’t napped at all. The boys were amazingly good. It was me that was ready to fly off the handle. A stressed out, hungry, emotional pregnant woman is not a good thing.

Between 3:30 and 4pm, we watched as every person that came into the waiting room went back before us. Then they came out. Then, someone new went back. At 4:30, I asked the receptionist how much longer we were going to have to wait. She replied that they just had a bunch of emergency CT scans come in, so we would have to wait another half an hour or so.

At this point, I didn’t know if I wanted to scream or cry. My husband, being the amazing, level-headed man that he is, said to me, “Angie, if we were the ones that needed an emergency CT scan on one of our kids, we wouldn’t want to wait for anyone else.” I knew he was right. He was absolutely right. We were waiting on a CT scan for something that’s not life threatening. I can’t say the same for the other parents in the emergency room that afternoon.

So we waited.

At 5:23pm, they finally called Gage’s name. Gene took him back, and I took Parker to ride the elevators and then over to the gift shop. Gene and Gage showed up at exactly 5:30. We waited 5 hours for a 5 minute procedure. But, it was done, and we could finally start the 3 hour drive home.

Side note: We do not have any results of the CT scan yet. They will send those results to the doctor, and he will call me to let me know which surgery we can most likely expect.

We got in the car, and started heading home. Only 5:30pm in Atlanta means one thing: Traffic. It took us an hour to go 10 miles to find a restaurant. After filling all our bellys – and making sure we stuffed ourselves full! – we got in the car and headed home. We pulled in our driveway at 9:15pm. I dropped the boys off, and then I had to return my friend’s car, and then go pick up the older kids from my in-law’s house. I finally made it home at 10:30pm. Talk about a long day.

I do have to brag on Gage and Parker, though. For as long as our day was, and as hungry as we were, those two boys were perfect angels. We didn’t have a lick of trouble from either one of them. I honestly couldn’t believe how good they were. They made new friends all day, and were just as good as good can be. They each had a moment in the restaurant… Gage when we couldn’t feed him fast enough, and Parker when I wouldn’t let him get up from the table to go wash his hands. 🙂 But, one freak out from each of them in a 15 hour day – with no naps? I cannot be upset about that!

It was a very long day, but at least it was productive. Gage’s surgery is scheduled, and hopefully soon I will know which surgery he will most likely need. I promise to keep you all updated on his surgery and the results of the CT scan.

I want to thank everyone that said a prayer for Gage, and those that helped us out – by letting us borrow their car, watching our older kids, or the countless other ways we have been helped through this. We’re far from done, but at least we have answers, and we couldn’t have those without the help of so many of you.

After spending all day in a hospital full of sick children, I’m squeezing my kids a little tighter and thanking Jesus for His many, many blessings on my family.