We survived another trip to the pediatric dentist.

I have been worried about today since I got the phone call to schedule the appointment. Today was the day that the boys had to go to the boys had to go to the pediatric dentist. Today was the day that they would be sedated and have all of the work done at one time. Today was the day I have dreaded more than any other day.

We woke up this morning to cloudy, yucky weather. A few nights ago, we had really bad storms and tornadoes that were touching down a little too close for my liking. They were predicting that today would be just as bad – if not worse, and everything would happen down where the dentist’s office is. Driving over the mountain in a storm just didn’t sound appealing to me. I was scared to death. Terrified of the potential storms, and more importantly, about how the boys would handle the sedation.

Before we even left the driveway, we turned off the radio and prayed. We prayed for safe travels, for the storms to stay away, and for the boys to do well.

We left and picked up my good friend Sabrina – aka “Mandy’s Mom.” Because both boys were going to be sedated, I was going to need some help getting them to the car after everything was done. Sabrina kindly offered up herself and spent the day with us at the pediatric dentist’s office. We dropped the girls off at Grandma’s and headed down to the pediatric dental office. Remember – we have to drive almost 2 hours to get there.

We arrived in plenty of time for Zander’s appointment. We waited for almost an hour before they even took him back. They had me sit in the chair and I held Zander on top of me. The dentist held Z’s arms behind my head and I crossed one of my legs over Zander’s legs. The anesthesiologist gave Z a quick shot in the butt to put him into “twilight mode.” It took about 2 minutes to kick in, and Zander was out. Only it totally grossed me out because he never closed his eyes. He just looked completely gone.

I left the room, and they began working on him. Almost 2 hours later, they came out to tell me he was in recovery and it was time to bring Jace back. We went through the exact same procedure with Jace. Only Jace didn’t fight and scream like Zander did. When they gave Jace the shot in the behind, he whipped around, shot the anesthesiologist a look, and declared, “That hurt!” Not a minute later, Jace was gone.

They left Zander in the recovery room while they worked on Jace. When they finished Jace up, it was time for us to head home. Zander was just starting to come out of the sedation, and he was loopy. I carried him to the car, Sabrina carried Parker, and then she waited in the car with them while I went in to get Jace. They thought that Jace was coming out of the sedation, but they couldn’t get him to wake up at all. They couldn’t discharge him until he woke up and said a few words. It took us what felt like forever before he finally woke up and said, “Hi, Mommy. I did good!”

The ride home was hysterical. I’m so glad Sabrina was there because she can attest that everything I am about to type is true – plus, she grabbed a few pictures for me! They boys were really groggy when we first left, but Jace wouldn’t stop talking. “Mommy, I’ve never been so good at the dentist.” “Mommy, I didn’t even fall asleep.” “Mommy, Zander screamed like a girl when he got a shot, but I didn’t scream at all.” The child never shut up. And some of the stuff he said made absolutely no sense at all. Zander was in a daze for most of the ride – he could barely keep his eyes open, and the words he said were garbled. The closer to home we got, the more they started to wake up. Jace never stopped talking the entire time – but at least he was a little more coherent as the trip went on!

I’m just so glad today is over. They did AWESOME at the dentist, the dentist was so good with the boys, they were fine through the entire sedation process, the storms held off, and I got to spend some time with a good friend. Today really couldn’t have gone any better. Thank you for all the prayers for us today!

Angie Vinez (2893 Posts)

Angie is a wife and mother to 8. Her life revolves around cooking, cleaning, laundry, and other household duties. She is passionate about her life in Christ and wants to encourage other mothers in their own walk of faith. Angie is active on many social media networks, loves technology, photography, and graphic design, and loves creating blog designs for other mom bloggers.


  1. 1
    The Stevens Family says:

    Oh my goodness, what a relief! I’m so glad everything went well, and that the boys are okay. Those pictures are SO CUTE! What handsome little fellows you have. Well, now you can heave a sigh because it’s all over. Big hugs to you and your brave guys!

  2. 2
    Veronica Lee says:

    Thanks for following. I’m following back!

  3. 3
    Heather L. says:

    So glad it went well! What a relief!!! That is too funny about the drive home. I wish I could have heard all the funny things they were saying! Hope you can relax today – you’ve earned it!

  4. 4

    Thanks for the follow, now I’m following you, too.

    What an ordeal! I know it only too well, we are very good friends with our pediatric dentist in the way that you are good friends with someone you see a lot and pay a lot of money to 🙂

    Glad you all survived!

  5. 5

    I’m glad it all went ok! Your boys are so adorable!

  6. 6

    Hi Angie, I am glad that you all had a safe visit to the dentist and everything was OK. Zander and Jace are two very brave and wonderful boys with a great smile!!

Speak Your Mind


CommentLuv badge