As I mentioned in today’s earlier post, I will be guest hosting the Clorox #ToiletWand twitter party tomorrow afternoon. Because of this, I’ve had several people ask me about twitter parties: What are they? Are they easy to follow? Are they worth the time? How can I participate? Can you really win stuff?
So, I decided to put up a post answering all of those questions and helping you get the most out of a twitter party. Hopefully, you’ll walk away from the post full of information, and you’ll join your first twitter party feeling like a pro. (Maybe you’ll try it out at tomorrow’s party?!)
First, what is a twitter party?
- A twitter party is a virtual party held using the twitter platform. They usually last between 1 -2 hours and focus on a certain topic. Most twitter parties will have an “expert” on hand to lead and encourage discussions. Twitter parties often have question and answer times, prizes, and much more. And in order to participate, you MUST have a twitter account.
Are they easy to follow?
- Yes and no. It depends on how you try to follow them. If you log into twitter.com and search the twitter party’s hashtag, you will quickly get lost and feel discouraged. To follow a twitter party, I highly recommend using TweetGrid. It’s the easiest way that I’ve found to follow a twitter party. You set the grids to do multiple searches at once. Here’s what my tweet grid will look like tomorrow for the #ToiletWand twitter party (click to make it bigger) :
- Absolutely! You’ll have the chance to learn something new, get tips and tricks, make new twitter friends, and even win prizes! Since most parties only last an hour or two, the time flies by. It is absolutely worth it!
How can I participate?
- First, you must have a twitter account. If you don’t have one, they’re free and easy to set up. Next, log into tweetgrid with your twitter username about 5 – 10 minutes before the party so that you have enough time to set it up correctly. Then, just jump in! Watch the hosts of the party closely. They may ask questions to win prizes. Reply to their questions, and make sure you use the proper hashtag for the party. If you don’t put the hashtag in, your answer probably won’t get seen. TweetGrid allows you to put the hashtag in every tweet, making it a whole lot harder for you to forget! Before you know it, the party will be over!
Can you really win stuff?
- You absolutely can! I’ve attended lots of twitter parties, and while I haven’t won something at every party, I have walked away from some parties with some really fabulous stuff! I’ve won gift cards, an ipod touch, memory cards, batteries, and lots more. Even if I don’t win, I’ve still had a great time, and don’t ever feel like I’ve wasted my time.
I hope that helps you out and encourages you to start joining twitter parties. And in case I didn’t explain it well enough, there’s actually a website dedicated to twitter parties. You can learn more about them by clicking here. And, as always, if you have any more questions, just ask!
I’d love to see lots of you join us for the #ToiletWand twitter party tomorrow!