This giveaway will end Friday, July 8th at 11:59pm EST.
My son, Zander loves to draw. And from those drawings, he creates stories. He’s made robots that do the hula, and a plethora of superheroes with powers even the top dogs haven’t come up with. (I was having trouble opening a can one day with my manual can opener, so Zander decided to create a super hero whose arm turned into a giant can opener that would take the lid off in seconds.)
I love his imagination, and I just know he’s going to be the next Stan Lee.
So, when I got the opportunity to review You Can Do A Graphic Novel by Barbara Slate, I jumped at the chance. Even if I don’t have any interest in ever creating a graphic novel, I know a young man that does, and I knew he’d jump all over the book.
I was right! As soon as it arrived, he snatched it out of my hands and didn’t put it down for hours. I’m not really sure how much of it he understood, but I’m pretty sure he understood it at least a little bit. Now, every story he draws, he’s very careful to have every part of the story Barbara Slate suggests having. And if he starts a story and can’t come up with a good climax, he scraps it and starts over. (He may have inherited his artistic ability from his grandpa, but he definitely got his mom’s need for perfection.)
We’ve had the book a couple of weeks now, and I always see Zander carrying it around, along with his art supplies. They’re always together, and it’s almost like he can’t do one without the other.
One thing that I love is that in the back of the book, there’s a glossary. I haven’t had to try and make up meanings for words in the book, they’re right there, easy to read and understand.
I know that I’m talking about this book and my (almost) 8 year old, but this book isn’t just for little kids. I enjoyed reading it and learning more about the stuff that Zander loves so much. It’s interesting and full of very useful tips. It’s perfect for anyone – of any age – that wants to learn how to create a graphic novel.
My favorite part of the book is on the front cover. It’s a quote by Stan Lee about the book. It states:
“I shudder at the thought of having to compete with a whole new gaggle of graphic novel creators! I tremble because if anyone can bring out the writer and artist hidden within society’s somnambulant psyche, it’s the titanically talented Barbara Slate. So please don’t read this book. I have a family to support!”
If it’s enough to scare the heebie jeebies out of Stan Lee, then it’s good enough for my boy! 🙂
If you – or someone you love has a love for graphic novels, this book is an excellent resource to teach them how they, too, can create their own graphic novel and be on their way to achieving their dreams.
To learn more about You Can Do A Graphic Novel by Barbara Slate, check out their website at YouCanDoAGraphicNovel.com. The book retails for $19.95, but you can find it on Amazon for just $13.57 and it’s eligible for free shipping.
Want to know the best news? I have 3 copies of the book to giveaway to my readers!
Leave a comment on this post and tell me what YOUR first graphic novel would be about. (Note: I won’t hold you to it, just give us an idea!)
*Mandatory. If this is not done, you cannot win.
Want Extra Entries?
- Blog About this Giveaway. Be sure to include a link to Blessed Beyond Words or this post. (5 extra entries)
- Subscribe to us via email. (2 extra entries.)
- Subscribe to us via reader. (1 extra entry.)
- Leave a comment on any non-giveaway post, and leave a comment here telling me which post you commented on. (Unlimited.)
- Become a fan of Blessed Beyond Words on Facebook. (Leave your Facebook first name and last initial, please.)
- Share this giveaway on Facebook. (Once per DAY – just leave a link, or copy/paste text that you posted with your Facebook User Name.)
- Follow Blessed Beyond Words on twitter. (Leave your twitter id, please!)
- Tweet about this contest. (1 Tweet Per DAY)
Use the re-tweet button above, or here’s a sample tweet:
- Win a copy of You Can Do A Graphic Novel. Giveaway hosted by @angievinez – Ends 6/22: http://bit.ly/l9Vb61
- Grab our button and put it on your blog. (Leave us a link to your blog, please!)
- Add us to your blog roll. (Leave a link to your blog, please!)
- Follow our blog publicly through Google Friend Connect or Networked Blogs. (Leave a comment for each one that you do. Anonymous following doesn’t count.)
- Stumble this post. (Once. Please leave your stumbledupon username.)
- Follow Me on StumbleUpon. (2 extra entries. Leave your username, please.)
- Join My BlogFrog Community. (2 extra entries. Leave your username, please.)
- Write a Review on Alexa (3 extra entries. Please leave your Alexa username.)
Fine Print: Contest is open to residents of the US. If you already do any of the above, you qualify. Please leave a comment for each of the extra entries you complete. However, you must first leave the required comment as stated above. Giveaway will end on July 8th at 11:59pm (EST), and the winners will be selected via the “And the Winner is..” plugin. Winners will be notified via email upon selection, and will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Disclaimer: I was contacted by a representative of Wilks Communications on behalf of Barbara Slate and You Can Do A Graphic Novel. I received a copy of the book in order to facilitate my review. I was in no other way compensated for this post. Opinions expressed are 100% my own. The sponsor is fulfilling the prize as stated above.