Your garage is where you store your prized vehicle. That is why it is crucial to ensure that the garage door functions well and keeps your car safe. If you face any problem with the doors, you must approach a professional repairing service to get it fixed or replaced at the earliest. If cost is your concern, here is a review of the major garage door repairing needs and the cost involved.
Even though you can do some minor fixes on your own, you will need a professional for the more complex repair works. In this case, the door may require professional inspection, and adjustments including chain tension, belt tension, opener, spring tension, force modifications, limits, and door lubrication. If you are planning for a general service, it may cost you between $150 and $300.
Door is not opening or closing
There may be several reasons for this problem as:
- Obstruction of sensor – If the door system has sensors at the track base, then an obstruction may cause your garage door to malfunction.
- Opener – If nothing is obstructing the sensors, it might be a problem with the opener. Sometimes you may have to replace the battery inside it to fix it.
- Track obstruction – Examine the tracks for any potential damages, bends, or dents. Sometimes the track may need to be replaced by a professional service.
Track related garage door repairs might cost you around $130 to $150. Correction of uneven door hanging may cost about $125.
Irregular movements of garage door
- Spring related issues – The roll-up type garage doors usually have a tension spring, which is a center mount. It is essential to get a professional repair service to fix any such problems as the tension on such torsion springs is very great. Replacing this spring may cost about $300 or more.
- Track related issues – The doors may move unevenly if the track is bent or wrapped. The tracks need to be repaired or replaced in this case. Typical track repairs may cost about $130 to $150.
Door makes creaky noise
Grinding or squealing noises from garage doors are primarily due to lack of lubricant. The accumulation of debris and dirt on the tracks may also cause the same. The service for this problem includes removing debris, deep cleaning of tracks, and coating it with lubricant. The average cost of this service may be $155.
Door falling quickly
Broken cables or chains may end up in rolling garage doors falling fast. It may be a dangerous situation, which needs emergency repair. A proper fix for this problem must be done by a skilled professional. Garage door chains and cables are now very expensive, and including the installation labor charges, it may cost an average $150 to $200.
Some other common problems
- Broken glass replacement – The cost may vary from $25 to $50 for the glass, and you must include the service charge.
- Dings and dents – You need a professional repair for larger dings and dents, which may cost $75 for each hour of labor.
- Replacing circuit board – The cost may be $100 for replacing circuit boards and remote reprogramming.
- Repairing rollers –May cost about $10 to $15 for each roller.
- Replacing hinges – Each hinge may cost about $10.
Choose the best service providers while thinking of garage door repair to ensure that your door remains in good shape and functions well for long.
Author Bio: David Bentley owns a rolling garage door service station. He also used to write self-help articles on garage door repairs for the common public.